June28 Day 48

Walkieeees

Taking the pupsters out for walks by themselves now.  They are all a little hesitant to leave the driveway but quickly lift their tails and trot along with me.  There's still construction going on next door so it's no wonder that they hold back a little.. at first.

I've had people ask me how I can walk all 5 of my girls off leash.  I've had people ask how I can keep them from going into the street.  I've had people ask how I can keep them from chasing squirrels or cats during our walks.  I think I  know now.  Every time these puppies walk with me without a leash they are practicing 'You Choose.'   It's interesting that there's a new training technique given this title.  The whole premise of the technique is that you let the dog choose its behavior and reward it for the one "you" want it to reinforce.   Now I can see that by letting young puppies walk with me (leash free and command free) I am letting it decide that walking next to me is the 'BEST' choice it can make.  It soon becomes a natural pattern and a natural behavior.  At this early age it's not Magic or especially brilliant training... it's simply allowing the puppy to do what comes naturally.






No comments:

Post a Comment